Monday 20 October 2014

USALAMA INAANZA NA MIMI, GIVE ME A GUN



Today (Mashujaa day) being October 20, 2014. A day formerly Kenyatta day, celebrating the heroes of this great nation Kenya, who helped secure our independence through the self-less efforts of groups and individuals who fought to liberate the country (if we have really found this liberation, it’s still a matter in contention). Most of this individuals and people have long been forgotten and if we do remember them, we do so selectively depending on our leaders of today.
This day we are to appreciate how far Kenya has come since independence, a long journey that leaders of today choose to appreciate where it stands today and maybe what the future holds of this nation.
In the wake of this day I got a call from my mother, rather early than usual. A missed call at 0459 that I didn’t hear the phone ring then a second call at 0630 which I picked, knowing my mother I thought she must have wanted to wish me a good day or rather a good week being a Monday and holiday to top it up.
Her voice was rather low and from that I thought she maybe sick given her long fight being diabetic plus the high blood pressure that don’t mix well, this is a deadly combination. She said “Duka imeibiwa, M-Pesa imeenda yote.” (“the shop has been robbed the M-Pesa also.” I calmly asked what exactly has been stolen she says 5Kgs of sugar, Credit cards purchased the previous evening worth Kes 7,000 and now an estimated cash Kes 40,000 plus the M-Pesa phone which had deposits estimated at Kes 50,000 (this one I think is recoverable through Safaricom), all this because she didn’t pick this cash last evening as she is ailing.
The saddest thing is that her shop is located inside a police station, thinking this is the safest place to be in Kenya or rather in any part of the world for burglary to happen. The same place she is has recorded her statement. The thief came in the nights broke carefully the glass window of the door entered swiftly without the shop attendant who sleeps in the next room hearing and took off with the above and carefully placed the glasses in a dustbin. This is classic.
Seriously we did not liberate our country for this kind of happenings, we are not yet Uhuru I think, we are not safe, and surely I couldn’t agree with the President more, Ulinzi unaanza na mimi a reason I need a gun to make sure this is so, it’s not the MCAs alone who are in need of this weapon, when my security and that of my loved one is messed up with then why not have a gun. Maybe the guns at the moment are given to the wrong people (given that the burglary has happened in a police station) and that we have entrusted our safety to this very people whose security is also a problem. Yes Mr. President I need a gun, I trust myself more.
Today I wouldn’t be gnashing my teeth with rage given the helpless situation and the miles of liability bundled to my mother, the thief might have been sending a message that hii pesa si ya mama yako (this money is not my mother’s) a phrase that has become common with our leaders. If I had a gun I would have shot myself a thief, at least at the leg or maybe the buttock to make him immobile so that as we celebrate Mashujaa I’d be a hero to my ailing mother.
They already have a suspect in mind but how fast is our police and justice system, once caught he will plead innocence. No one saw him but then his monetary status has seriously changed to the fact that he is buying alcohol to everyone and has unlimited credit cards, I doubt if has a phone for himself, but simple as this case may be it depicts a serious lacking in our security systems.

0 comments:

Post a Comment