Friday 31 October 2014

Why single parent and not just parent?



A man sits in a baraza where the other men around him sit as usual members. They have always been men with a topic, mostly ranging from sports especially soccer to the mediocre Kenyan politics. Being a mid-week with boring or no politics and soccer to discuss, a woman passes just near the baraza, she unfortunately becomes the topic of discussion. One would think maybe as usual they would discuss the beauty in her, citing their desires for her (it’s a manly thing) but this one was different.

The man says “that woman is with no husband, I wonder what will become of his son. The poor boy will have no values, he will perform poorly in this education, and he might be even a thug. My kids will lead a good life, I’ll always be there.”

That poor boy is the one writing this article, as much as I has been ages since this words were said about my mother and I. I have been strong since, my mother has been a pillar than no man could have ever made. Weak as women may be, single mothers are stronger in all matters pertaining parenting.

I had no male figure in the home but the hustle that my mother did put was enough for me to man up. I wanted to be a man of her life, one that would provide all that she missed taking care of me. That by itself created a leader in me, silent, quiet but always calculating.

With minimal education, I needed to school just for her. Not because she asked but to compensate the time she missed for schooling because of the poor family she comes from. There were no fees for many kids, only her male at least brothers did a bit of schooling but up until it was enough for them to fend for the family and to become men.

She didn’t teach me how to shave, a reason I keep my beards long enough and take it to the barber for my shaving but yes am creating jobs here. I know the value of not doing everything by myself. To share.

As men continue with their talk, my single mom did the actions; as a matter of fact it’s better to have one great parent than two average parents. I may have left the disciplinary part, yes she was tough on me, a reason daily I learn the tough love back then, every day I celebrate my mother, she is my hero.

2 comments: